unusual telephony request - recording voice mail

Kareem Shehata kareem-d+8TeBu5bOew5LPnMra/2Q at public.gmane.org
Sat Jan 24 05:51:55 UTC 2004

On Sat, 2004-01-24 at 00:01, Matthew Willis wrote:
> I would like to record directly off the Bell system
> voice mail. This is a one-off: a friend's father died
> last week; she would like to save a copy of his last
> voice mail. I said I would figure out how to do this.
>
> I am thinking it is possible to use minicom (or
> similar) to start a dialin session to her voice mail.
> But how to record a transaction of the audio content
> of the entire session? Any suggestions?
>
> Thanks in advance for any advice.
>
> Matt Willis

IIRC, a voice modem should act like a sound card.  So, if you get things
working correctly, you should be able to dial in by hand then tell the
modem to record at the right time.

I would strongly suggest trying this with something other than the
voicemail first, just in case.  Actually, with Bell's call answer
service you can send a copy to someone else.  That would probably be a
good way to make a backup copy.

HPH, and my condolences to your friend.

Kareem

--