automate ssh login

James shijialee-/E1597aS9LQAvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Thu Jan 22 16:44:31 UTC 2004

--- Taavi Burns <taavi-LbuTpDkqzNzXI80/IeQp7B2eb7JE58TQ at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 22, 2004 at 07:44:51AM -0800, James wrote:
> > but this script will be used for other department too and log in to different server. i am
> > wondering if there is a way as easy as to provide user name and password from the ssh command
> line
> > ?  or, works better and easiser set up in my case ?
>
> When using ssh in a bunch of pipes, it will "do the right thing" and ask for authentication
> from your terminal.  There is no way to provide username and password as commandline
> parameters, though, as they would be visible to anyone else on the system (via top or ps).

that's what i know of. but hoping there is solution to it other than using the public
authentication key.  i may just off with two choice for this script, either use Net::SSH::perl or
the authentication key. though, the first one is slow but easy to use. the second is pain to set
it up.

> What does the script actually do?  Does it remotely execute a program?  Does it copy
> files?

it logs in a remote machine and runs a command. this script run by 'lp'.

let me know if you need more detail.

Qiang