NTP with Windows Clients

Gregory Pleau gregory.pleau-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org
Thu Jan 22 00:20:42 UTC 2004

< big snip >

> > The service is known as "Windows Time" and is required if the computer
> > participates in an Active Directory ( Win 2000 / Win2003 server ). I
> have
> > found that service to be problematic where a Samba PDC is used instead (
> > mystery can't find domain controller stuff ).
>
> Actually, you don't have to.  I've got XP Home edition here.  I'm not
> using Acitive Directory, yet I have no problem connecting to
> time.nist.gov..  As far as I know,the Home edition can't even connect to
> a domain.

Exactly - Windows XP Home would not be talking to a Samba PDC (could talk to
a Samba workgroup - and that could still technically use the "net time"
method, but why bother for one machine), so the above would not apply to
that situation. This thread isn't really about connecting to the default MS
servers ( time.nist.gov ), it's more about connecting to a local Linux based
NTP server.

I use the above method because I have several hundred computers to keep in
sync across the country. I'm having the Windows clients use "net time" to
their local Linux servers, which are sync'ing with ntp back to Toronto,
which in turn is using time.nist.gov. Works like a charm - with the Windows
Time service turned off, so I'm not running an unnecessary service just to
keep the time in sync. Granted I'm not exactly doing anything here that
can't be a second or two off.

Well actually I got tired of hearing that the computer time didn't match the
time on the office phones. So I decided that the only way to prove the
-phones- were off was to sync everybody to a well known atomic clock....

- Greg