CD burner for backups?

Taavi Burns taavi-LbuTpDkqzNzXI80/IeQp7B2eb7JE58TQ at public.gmane.org
Wed Jan 21 18:57:11 UTC 2004

On Wed, Jan 21, 2004 at 01:43:06PM -0500, Phillip Mills wrote:
> peripherals.  I'd like to retire the machine, but its SCSI CD burner
> needs to be replaced first.
>
> My Dell box that runs SuSE 8.1 has a couple of USB ports (as do the
> other Macs, as well as their Firewire ports), so I'm thinking something
> external that works off USB at least and is supported on Linux.  (I'll
> also want it supported on Mac, of course, but I think I can figure that
> part out.)  Any suggestions or recommendations?

How fast is the CD burner?  If it's more than about 4x, I'd probably
want something a lot faster than USB1.1, which would be USB2.0.  Only
the newest Macs come with USB2.0 ports, so perhaps you should consider
Firewire.

IDE->Firewire 5.25" enclosures run about $70.  A 1394 card for the PC
would be about another $35.  But you said this burner is SCSI.  GOOD LUCK.

Your better bet may be to find a second hand SCSI controller for the Dell
and hope it has expansion slots available for it and the drive (or I
suppose you could get an external SCSI enclosure).  Or you could just buy
yourself a new burner.  They're dirt cheap.  Or you could get a DVD burner
for only $160.

--
taa

   Never do today what you can put off till tomorrow
   if tomorrow might improve the odds.
      - Robert A. Heinlein
/*eof*/