new gentoo install

Taavi Burns taavi-LbuTpDkqzNzXI80/IeQp7B2eb7JE58TQ at public.gmane.org
Wed Jan 21 14:55:17 UTC 2004

On Wed, Jan 21, 2004 at 01:14:27AM -0500, rh wrote:
> "Fiifi Markin" <markino_05-PkbjNfxxIARBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org> wrote:
>
> > i just installed gentoo, but i cannot seem to execute the 'su' command
> > from a basic user
> > i have been thinking of recompiling the kernel for starters to c if it
> > would correct the situation.
> > also i need a module for my dell inspiron internal pci card so i can
> > connect to my wireless router
> > hunter
>
> The user has to be in the 'wheel' group.

One would do this on Gentoo using the 'vigr' command, when logged in as
root.  Go find the line starting with wheel: and add your username to the
end of the line (comma separated username list).

Recompiling your kernel will not affect this in the slightest (but isn't
a bad thing to do; rather a Linux rite of passage, it is)

--
taa

   Money is a powerful aphrodisiac but flowers work almost as well.
      - Robert A. Heinlein
/*eof*/