External USB2.0 HDD disconnect

James Knott james.knott-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Wed Jan 21 01:39:33 UTC 2004

Henry Spencer wrote:
> On Tue, 20 Jan 2004, James Knott wrote:
>
>>Anyone here remember disk pack drives?  ;-)
>

> Silly question. :-)  Not only do I remember disk pack drives, I remember
> how happy we were to replace ours with Fujitsu Eagle non-disk-pack drives.
>
> (The Eagles were possibly the best disk drives ever made.  Big and fast
> for their time, and legendary reliability.  It was common to retire them
> after a decade of continuous flawless operation -- still running fine, but
> using too much rack space and power, and too obsolete an interface, to be
> worth keeping.  Unfortunately, Fujitsu's later drives were another story.)

We had some of those Fujitsus attached to a Data General S/130, instead
of the usual 190 MB Zebra and 90 MB ??? drives.  There was a name for
the Fujitusus, but I've forgotten that as well.  There was also the 10 +
10 MB Gemini cartridge/fixed disk and a 5 + 5 MB ??? cartridge/fixed
drive that I also maintained.  It's been so many years since I worked on
that stuff.