encrypting

Michael Murray mmurray-Dxt6bYU2+dosA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
Sat Jan 17 17:34:59 UTC 2004

Seems to me that this is something that could be scripted somewhat easily
using either a somewhat sophisticated bash script, or something in python or
perl.

It's trivial (though time consuming) to do manually, and I'm always one to
spend the time up-front automating something like this, if it's to be done
often.

> > I'd like to
> >    a) securely encrypt it

As someone else suggested, gpg would be good for this.

http://wipe.sourceforge.net/

> >    c) put encrypted file on the Internet

Easy to script using SSH, curl, or any other mechanism.  SSH with key
exchange gives you the freedom to upload and download interactively.

> >       wait until another change has been made

Auto-detection using MD5 checksums...

> >    d) download it from the Internet
> >    e) decrypt it

See above.
> >    f) edit the resulting text file

Vi. <religious joke>Emacs if you're insane.  ;)</religious joke>

> if it going to be automated it gets much more complex.

I don't think that it's that complex to script up so that it happens
automatically.  I had a relatively simple version of this scripted in about
25 minutes, but it wasn't close to prime-time, so I didn't post it here.