DNS question

Tim Writer tim-s/rLXaiAEBtBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Wed Jan 14 23:31:43 UTC 2004

Madison Kelly <linux-5ZoueyuiTZhBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org> writes:

>    Now, knowing that the DNS servers are not yet available on the web I
>    decided to try testting the servers on the LAN behind the firewall. To
>    verify that the ports are up and listening I used 'nmap' to check the
>    ns1.alteeve.com server; ports 22, 53, 111 and 1026 are accessible (from
>    behind the FW only). I have 'named' running, too.

What does:

    % netstat -ntul

on the name server(s) tell you?

> [root-uRZ2/RANkOA at public.gmane.org boot]# dig @209.167.68.46 madisonave.ca
>
> ; <<>> DiG 9.2.2-P3 <<>> @209.167.68.46 madisonave.ca
> ;; global options:  printcmd

This is the same result I get when I use dig against an IP know not to be
running a name server so it looks like named isn't running, isn't listening
on that address, or is firewalled.  Have you configured named to listen on a
specific address?  Are you packet filtering with iptables/ipchains on the
name server?

> [root-uRZ2/RANkOA at public.gmane.org boot]#
>
> [root-uRZ2/RANkOA at public.gmane.org boot]# nslookup
> Note:  nslookup is deprecated and may be removed from future releases.
> Consider using the `dig' or `host' programs instead.  Run nslookup with
> the `-sil[ent]' option to prevent this message from appearing.
>  > server 209.167.86.46
> Default server: 209.167.86.46
> Address: 209.167.86.46#53
>  > madisonave.ca

Note, that's not the same IP as above.

>    Would it help if I posted 'named.conf' and zone files?

named.conf (or a portion of it) would help.

--
tim writer <tim-s/rLXaiAEBtBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org>                                  starnix inc.
905.771.0017 ext. 225                           thornhill, ontario, canada