linux VMware w W98 SE in vm

Chris Aitken aitken-BwLjziHGQLusTnJN9+BGXg at public.gmane.org
Tue Jan 13 11:43:34 UTC 2004

Gregory Pleau wrote:

> > OK. To recap - here is what is happening:
> >
> > At the A> prompt I enter E:\win98\setup
> >
> > Then I get,
> >
> > 'To continue press Enter'
> >
> > I press Enter
> >
> > The mini Scandisk runs and then I get,
> >
> > 'Windows Setup needs 7340032 bytes available on your C:
> > drive'
> >

> I've hit this problem before without VMWare in the works. Easiest method to
> get by this is to get an MS DOS disk with fdisk and format on it.
>
> Fdisk the (virtual) drive - allocate your 4 GB then format it. Note you'll
> be locked to 2GB if you use an older Windows disk (fat16 limits). Windows
> has a stupid setup routine that wants to write temporary files to the hard
> disk before you get the chance to format / fdisk it.

Oh, man! And you know, I tried to format yesterday, but always at the wrong
point?  I tried formatting after fdisking, but before the reboot (which
windows won't accept). On another attempt I did the fdisk and figured Windows
Setup would do the format when it gives the option to 'format unallocated
space' (or somesuch) - no good there either. So, this morning, at your
reminder, I started the vm, did fdisk at the a> prompt, copied format from C:
to the floppy (really an iso), rebootted the vm, formatted C:, then typed
E:\win98\setup at the a> prompt and I was off to the races!

Thanks. I keep forgetting to remember to forget the host OS (linux) - think
WIndows, Windows, Windows.

You should see how slow Windows runs - the Welcome to Windows 98 screen
painted itself on the screen slower thean Tom Sawyer whitewashing the fence.
I'll just bet this ain't gonna run Pro Tools Free multitrack recording
software with enough speed to overcome latency (subsequent sound tracks not
synced with previous sound tracks). If throwing more RAM at it will help, I'll
do that.

Chris

P.S. After Windows Setup finished, and asked for the reboot, Setup tried to
run again. I remembered that the floppy still points to the iso I created from
the Windows 98 Startup Disk. So, I removed the pointer from the floppy to the
iso in VM Ctrl Panel and all is well.

Are the lines properly wrapped in this email?