linux VMware w W98 SE in vm

Gregory Pleau gregory.pleau-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org
Tue Jan 13 03:27:31 UTC 2004

> OK. To recap - here is what is happening:
>
> At the A> prompt I enter E:\win98\setup
>
> Then I get,
>
> 'To continue press Enter'
>
> I press Enter
>
> The mini Scandisk runs and then I get,
>
> 'Windows Setup needs 7340032 bytes available on your C:
> drive'

I've hit this problem before without VMWare in the works. Easiest method to
get by this is to get an MS DOS disk with fdisk and format on it.

Fdisk the (virtual) drive - allocate your 4 GB then format it. Note you'll
be locked to 2GB if you use an older Windows disk (fat16 limits). Windows
has a stupid setup routine that wants to write temporary files to the hard
disk before you get the chance to format / fdisk it.

This does rule out the 'boot-from-windows-cd' method, but it may get you to
where you are functional.

> Or, occaisionally, I get,
>
> The cpu has been disabled by the guest operating system. You will need to
> power
> off or reset the vm at this point.

Normal if the machine is 'powered off' virtually or it hangs.

Hope this helps,

Greg