Sympatico, Mandrake9.2 and Speedstream5200 - no go !

CLIFFORD ILKAY clifford_ilkay-biY6FKoJMRdBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Mon Jan 12 01:04:54 UTC 2004

At 17:40 10/01/2004 -0500, David J Patrick wrote:
>I just spent a couple of hours trying to help a friend connect his
>(PII233) Mandrake9.2 setup to the net.
>He has a shiny new Efficient Networks Speedstream5200 Ethernet/ USB.
>Using the wizard in MCC I tried every concievable combination, culminating
>in blinkin' lights on the modem
>(using the USR 3c905b 100base TX (Cyclone) card, not USB) and pppoe; but
>no connection.
>I considered trying Knoppix (didn't have a copy with me) OR d/l Roaring
>penguins finest rp-pppoe.
>Any ideas ?

Hi David,

I just got back from my mother's place where I got her system that I had
just installed Mandrake 9.2 connected to Sympatico via a Speedstream DSL
modem. Disregard any of the suggestions that have been made to install RP
from source. It is not necessary.

If the rp-pppoe package is installed, you can use the wizard in Mandrake
Control Center to set up the ADSL connection. Make sure the user ID is
lower case.

When I arrived at my mother's house, the output of ifconfig showed that
ppp0 had a Sympatico IP address but I could not ping anything other than
the default route's IP address. I disabled the firewall, ran:

/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/net_cnx_down
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/net_cn_up

to bring the PPPOE connection down and back up again, and I had a good
connection.

I ran out of time so I could not examine the iptables policies to find out
why Internet access was being blocked by the firewall. I find DrakFirewall,
the firewall wizard, in its attempt to be user "friendly", is anything but.
I am not sure what "What services would you like to allow the Internet to
connect to means?" but I had everything but ftp checked and I still could
not get to the outside world. Once I checked "Everything (no firewall)", I
could go anywhere I wanted. It appears there is no coordination between the
PPPOE configuration wizard and DrakFirewall.

Mandrake uses the Shorewall firewall scripts. To get the system running in
some reasonably secure fashion is probably going to entail hacking away at
Shorewall  manually. This <http://www.shorewall.net/standalone.htm> might
come in useful.

Regards,

Clifford Ilkay