sympatico DSL connection and Mandrake 9.2

Fraser Campbell fraser-Txk5XLRqZ6CsTnJN9+BGXg at public.gmane.org
Sun Jan 11 21:16:37 UTC 2004

On January 11, 2004 04:05 pm, David J Patrick wrote:

> Umm .. that's right Joe, if you have /anything/ lying around it' free ..
> but we don't.  what I might have lying around is an Alcatel 1meg modem,
> perhaps I try that ?

David,

Before ripping out hardware try to understand what is wrong?  Is your computer
being assigned an ip address?  Issue the command ifconfig, see what ip
address appears next to the device ppp0 (or possible ppp1, ppp2, etc.).

If no ip address is being assigned then you need to look at the logs to see
why rp-pppoe (or Mandrake's control centre) is failing.

If you  are getting assigned an ip address but cannot connect to the Internet
then the problems that I can immediately think of are dns or firewalling.
What does /etc/resolv.conf contain after you connect (hopefully at least one
nameserver line)?  If there is a nameserver can you query it ("host localhost
name.server.ip.address")?  For firewall problems look for iptables log
messages somewhere under /var/log ... ls -ltr will list files with most
recently modified last ... look in those files.