sympatico DSL connection and Mandrake 9.2

David J Patrick davidjpatrick-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org
Sun Jan 11 21:05:35 UTC 2004

JoeHill wrote:

>>>yes, or in a term, as root:
>>>
>>>urpmi rp-pppoe
>>>

>>OK, so I had said friend issue the above urpmi command; everything
>>already installed.
>>adsl-setup went along smoothly, with only one hitch;
>>the option to have connection "always on" didn't seem to take. "on
>>demand" was the result every time.
>>after adsl-setup Mozilla couldn't connect.
>>adsl-start reported "already running"
>>adsl-stop claimed to "kill pppd"
>>adsl-start again still reported "already running"
>>
>>net result; friend (new to computers) can't get at the highspeed
>>connection he's paying for.
>>    has seen the command line a few too many times, wonders if linux is
>>really all that cool.
>>    his linux geek friend (me) is (am) stumped.
>>
>>I'm goung to try;
>>    bringing the newest  rp-pppoe-3.5-3mdk.i586.rpm and
>>rp-pppoe-gui-3.5-3mdk.i586.rpm on disk.
>>    urpmi-ing those (how do I point to these files? just urpmi
>>/tmp/wherever/whatever.rpm ?)
>>    bring a knoppix disk to see if pppoe-config can pull it off.
>>
>>suggestions welcomed
>>

>Well, I don't know how welcome this one will be, but I would really recommend
>getting a hardware firewall/NAT/router or easily build one if there's an old,
>unused box lying around, like a 486 or Pentium. It will manage the internet
>connection (gateway), DNS entries and make internet sharing a breeze. Of course,
>it will also be more secure.

You *funny* ! I'm sure my friend will agree when I tell him
"all your crappy ol' computer (PII266) needs is another older crappier
computer.
    and some supporting peripherals.. should take more than a week.
       we're gonna have to get all this furniture outta here, though.."
I'm sure it's the smart, solid thing to do, but I'd rather offer
something more elegant.

>In the process you describe above, were you using the Mandrake Control Center's
>Internet Connection Wizard? I'm not too familiar with it, never having had to
>use it, but if you haven't tried that, I would suggest you try it, at least as a
>first step.

That /was/ my first step. Unsucessful.
then rp-pppoe
soon newer rp-pppoe+gui
then the Alcatel modem
then knoppix, then WidowsEXPee (a cracked mutant pirate version)

>But in the end, I really highly recommend getting a broadband router
>in there, it's just so much easier and more secure, and they're not *that*
>expensive (free in fact if you've got the abovementioned old machine lyin'
>around).

Umm .. that's right Joe, if you have /anything/ lying around it' free ..
but we don't.
what I might have lying around is an Alcatel 1meg modem, perhaps I try
that ?
djp