sympatico DSL connection and Mandrake 9.2

Fraser Campbell fraser-Txk5XLRqZ6CsTnJN9+BGXg at public.gmane.org
Sun Jan 11 20:42:30 UTC 2004

On January 11, 2004 03:06 pm, David J Patrick wrote:

> suggestions welcomed

Presumably the DSL sync light is green on the modem?

Restart the adsl connection and look at the logfiles, see which files have
recently change in /var/log and look at them.  There should definitely be a
clue in the logs.  If you can't figure it out post a portion of the logfile
that you think is relevant.

You've already suggested knoppix, if you have it, try it.

If it's a password problem then you'll probably see "access denied" or
something obvious, if you do call Sympatico.

Here's my recent Sympatico story:

I spent 3.5 hours talking my mother through setting up her Sympatico
connection (3 hours were because she forgets the alphabet when it's used in
conjunction with setting up anything on a computer).  It was obvious from the
logs that her username/password were not working.

Finally at 00:30 (Saturday morning) I called Sympatico and found out that her
account was "suspended" and that I'd have to call back on Monday.  Monday
called my mom called them and found out that "there's nothing wrong with your
account, perhaps your software isn't installed correctly".  I told my mom to
reboot and to "try the Internet" and miraculously it was now working.  Moral
of the story, DO NOT trust the assholes that call themselves "Sympatico
support".

Needless to say as soon as my mom's introductory rate with Sympatico is over
I'll be advising her to switch to another ISP.