Network Windows XP Pro/Linux Mandrake 9.1

CLIFFORD ILKAY clifford_ilkay-biY6FKoJMRdBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Sat Jan 10 05:56:16 UTC 2004

At 23:43 09/01/2004 -0500, Mr. Justin G. Kozuch wrote:
>Hey Everyone,
>
>I am a new Linux user, and I would like to network my Windows XP Pro/Linux
>Mandrake machines together, however, I am very confused as to how to do
>this.

Hi Justin,

I have exactly that combination, amongst others. You need to install the
samba packages for Linux, if you have not done so already. You may also
want to install the swat (Samba Web Administration Toolkit) package while
you are at it. Make sure samba is running and then browse to
<http://localhost:901> to get to swat and authenticate as root. Once you
are in, you can create Windows shares and perform a host of other
administrative tasks using swat. Its on-line help is quite helpful. When
you have finished configuring samba, remember to restart the samba daemon.
You can do that from swat, the command line, or the Mandrake Control
Center. You should see the share from the Windows XP box. If you do not,
from a Linux shell prompt type:

smbclient -U yourUserID -L localhost

and enter the password for yourUserID. You should now see the list of
shares, servers, and workgroups that are available. This is like the net
view command in Windows.

Regards,

Clifford Ilkay
Dinamis Corporation