rogers cabal and blacklisting

William Park opengeometry-FFYn/CNdgSA at public.gmane.org
Sat Jan 10 03:46:16 UTC 2004

On Fri, Jan 09, 2004 at 12:06:11PM -0500, Kevin Cozens wrote:
> BTW, how do you configure sendmail to handle the login form of
> authentication to a remote SMTP server?

1.  Find out what kind of authentication they use, ie. PLAIN or LOGIN.
    They should tell you the method, or specify in the response to
    EHLO command, something like
	250-AUTH LOGIN PLAIN
    I'm told that Microsoft clients use LOGIN method.

    In /etc/mail/authinfo (chmod 600), put
	AuthInfo:smtp.xxx.rogers.ca  "U:username" "P:password" "M:login"
    or
	AuthInfo:smtp.xxx.rogers.ca  "U=dXNlcm5hbWU=" "P=cGFzc3dvcmQ=" "M:login"
    where "X:..." is for plain text string, and "X=..." is for base64
    encoding of same string.  For both PLAIN and LOGIN method, you have
    to send the required data in base64 encoding.  For PLAIN method,
    it's one liner
	\0username\0password
    and for LOGIN method, it's
	username
	password
    separately just like the usual Unix login process.  Sendmail will
    send out correctly encoded, so you don't have to worry about this.
    Unless, of course, you telnet directly.  Try it out, it will be good
    learning experience. :-)

2.  Make .db file,
	cd /etc/mail
	makemap hash authinfo < authinfo

    Edit .mc file,
	FEATURE(`authinfo')
    For Sendmail-8.12.10 (or Slackware-9.1), put it in submit.mc, since
    it will be talking to Rogers server.  Make .cf files,
	cd /usr/share/sendmail/cf/cf	(or whatever)
	m4 ../m4/cf.m4 submit.mc > /etc/mail/submit.cf
	m4 sendmail.mc > /etc/mail/sendmail.cf

    Restart your Sendmail,
	/etc/rc.d/rc.sendmail restart

3.  That will take care of authentication.  But, you don't have to relay
    every email through Rogers, which is what happens when you use
	define(`SMART_HOST', `smtp.xxx.rogers.ca')

    To relay only those machines refusing to accept from "dynamic" IP,
    use mailertable.  If <remote.com> is refusing your email, then
    edit /etc/mail/mailertable,
	remote.com	esmtp:smtp.xxx.rogers.ca
    and make .db file,
	cd /etc/mail