sound & partitions

Chris Aitken aitken-BwLjziHGQLusTnJN9+BGXg at public.gmane.org
Wed Jan 7 17:06:36 UTC 2004

Lennart Sorensen wrote:

> On Sun, Jan 04, 2004 at 08:38:55PM -0500, Chris Aitken wrote:
> > Byron Sonne wrote:

[...]

> VMWare is running real windows, not a partially emulated one, so all
> software runs perfectly.

OK.

> On the other hand you aren't talking directly
> to the hardware (since that is the part that is being emulated to some
> extent), so expect much much higher delays for sound coming in and going
> out than you would running windows directly.  I don't know if what you
> are doing requires syncing between what you are recording and what you
> recorded before, but if it does that could be a big problem.

Damn - foiled again!

> Some of
> the applications that are using ALSA on Linux on the other hand have
> become very impresive in how low the latency is (from what I understand
> they rival or in some cases beat ASIO).

Yeah, but I would be more likely to experiment with sound recording in linux if linux
was always up (i.e. if I always had w98 and linux at the same time on the same machine
in front of me - not dual-booting between the two OSs). Maybe I should just purchase
vmware and see how good/bad the latency is - then I'll know and I'll  shut up about all
this. Then I will get another machine with an OK sound card and run only linux on that -
do all my accounting, word processing, and experimenting with sound recording. And the
other machine I'll leave as the production W98SE box for recording mutlitrack.

> I only play around with midi for fun,

MIDI fun? Hmmm.. I've been a musician for years. I won't try MIDI again until I must.

> and don't do any recording of
> sound, so I don't know what is around for that, but something must be.
> The libjack and alsa and such don't exist just because someone thought
> it would be fun to write. :)

Thanks guys.

Chris

[...]