sound & partitions

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Mon Jan 5 19:56:57 UTC 2004

On Sun, Jan 04, 2004 at 08:38:55PM -0500, Chris Aitken wrote:
> Byron Sonne wrote:
> > Maybe you could half'n'half it; run win98 inside linux as a vmware
> > machine. I know that sounds kinda lame, but that kinda thing is really
> > quite handy and I've been floored by how well the hardware
> > emulation/sharing works.
>
> Really? That is intriguing. I hate rebooting between OSs (it is dual-boot W98SE/
> redhat 7.3 at the moment). I don't mind VMWARE getting my hundred bucks (am
> I being naive here?), but I'll want it to work. It's an 800 Duron. That would be
> penutlimate
> to Heaven - work on Pro Tools Free in W98 SE and switch without reboots to linux
> for
> email, AbiWord, and expermenting with sound recording in linux!
>
> But is that the most likely to be better than crossover or win4lin for running Pro
>
> Tools Free in Windows 98 SE to record musical instruments?

VMWare is running real windows, not a partially emulated one, so all
software runs perfectly.  On the other hand you aren't talking directly
to the hardware (since that is the part that is being emulated to some
extent), so expect much much higher delays for sound coming in and going
out than you would running windows directly.  I don't know if what you
are doing requires syncing between what you are recording and what you
recorded before, but if it does that could be a big problem.  Some of
the applications that are using ALSA on Linux on the other hand have
become very impresive in how low the latency is (from what I understand
they rival or in some cases beat ASIO).

I only play around with midi for fun, and don't do any recording of
sound, so I don't know what is around for that, but something must be.
The libjack and alsa and such don't exist just because someone thought
it would be fun to write. :)

Lennart Sorensen