Anyone whose ever had to rebuild a server just fromtapes might agree

Keith Mastin kmastin-PzQIwG9Jn9VAFePFGvp55w at public.gmane.org
Tue Jan 6 05:56:38 UTC 2004

> You have the exact same issue with rsync. The result of rsyncing a file
> that is open is indeterminate. I asked on the rsync list when I first
> started using it. You're right about the narrower window of opportunity
> but, I would not bet the farm on it. Doing backups on live data is tough
> and in fact with databases, it is difficult to impossible to do unless
> one uses the backup utilities provided by the database, e.g. pg_dump for
> PostgreSQL.

With rsync you select the files or directories you want to back up and can
exclude those you don't want. Yes, databases need to use their specific
tools if they don't allow for live replication, and MySQL and postgreSQL
have the tools included. All a matter of reading the docs and using common
sense and tlug. :)

--
Keith Mastin
(416)429 9304