Anyone whose ever had to rebuild a server just fromtapes might agree

CLIFFORD ILKAY clifford_ilkay-biY6FKoJMRdBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Tue Jan 6 02:49:37 UTC 2004

At 15:09 05/01/2004 -0500, Keith Mastin wrote:

> >> 1. Getting a true backup of a system onto tape is often difficult due to
> >> open files of the OS and various(important)  data and programs.
>
>IMHO, simply backing up to tape isn't enough. Tapes are slow write
>devices, and any changes to data during the write process isn't captured
>accurately. I also don't like backing onto tape direct from a live server
>for the same reason. A solution is simple as using rsync to copy the data
>to a back-up server so the data snapshot has a lower timestamp spread and
>make the backup to the tape from the snapshot.

You have the exact same issue with rsync. The result of rsyncing a file
that is open is indeterminate. I asked on the rsync list when I first
started using it. You're right about the narrower window of opportunity
but, I would not bet the farm on it. Doing backups on live data is tough
and in fact with databases, it is difficult to impossible to do unless one
uses the backup utilities provided by the database, e.g. pg_dump for
PostgreSQL.

Regards,

Clifford Ilkay
Dinamis Corporation