now off topic: Formatting in C++ (fwd)

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Mon Jan 5 21:44:20 UTC 2004

On Wed, Dec 31, 2003 at 09:11:21AM -0500, John Wildberger wrote:
> I find it always amusing when highly intelligent people start arguing about
> the pros and cons of computer languages. They are all designed to fill a need
> to accomplish certain tasks. As people have different needs, they will use
> different tools. The degree of complexity is no measure for comparing one
> language with another. Languages evolve from simple to more complex to
> accommodate more and more sophisticred needs.
> The C++ language bears evidence to this. This makes it more valuable rather
> than less. For just understanding basic concepts ObjectiveC is a fine
> language.

I wonder if Java exists for the purpose of making money for Sun?  I
imagine that is the purpose of C# for MicroSoft.

Some languages seem to do just fine without having their syntax changed
over the years.  I guess some people put more effort into design than
revision, or in other words, do the job right the first time around.

Lennart Sorensen