Linux and PIC development

Peter Hiscocks phiscock-g851W1bGYuGnS0EtXVNi6w at public.gmane.org
Sun Jan 4 22:50:25 UTC 2004

Not to start a religious war, but there are other microprocessors with the
same functionality as the PIC but with much nicer architectures. The PIC
requires bank switching of registers and page switching of memory, which can
get ugly. (On the other hand, programming it in C hides many of these
features.) I ported a medium-sized assembly language program from the
Motorola 68HC11 to a pic processor, and it was not fun. The assembly
language is not as easy to read as some other devices.

Atmel and Motorola make devices that are attractive alternatives.

On the other hand, the PIC is very popular among our students who use it
frequently for projects. After they've used it, they either love the thing
or hate it.

Peter

On Mon, Jan 05, 2004 at 12:34:14AM +0200, Peter L. Peres wrote:

> On Sun, 4 Jan 2004, William Park wrote:
>
> > On Sun, Jan 04, 2004 at 11:23:16PM +0200, Peter L. Peres wrote:
> > >
> > > Join the piclist (use google to locate it) at MIT. I've been picing
> > > for 9 years now and been on that list for a few. The list has a
> > > searchable archive which you probably want to use.
> >
> > Just curious...  What can you do with it?  Can you give some
> > applications (profitable or not) that it can be used for?
>
> Just about anything that will run in up to 16k of rom in a single chip, at
> up to 40MHz clock with several peripherals on chip, inluding a/d and d/a.
> Say, mouse, heating controller, remote countrol (ir or rf), toys, alarms,
> robots, basically your average 'computer' box with a few buttons and a
> display, of the likes of the ones controlling your heater, microwave oven,
> tv remote etc etc etc.
>
> Peter

Peter D. Hiscocks
Ryerson University,