Ease of installation?

Peter Hiscocks phiscock-g851W1bGYuGnS0EtXVNi6w at public.gmane.org
Fri Feb 27 19:09:50 UTC 2004

The historic requirement has been to to defrag and then manually repartition
a hard drive in order to set up a dual-boot windows-linux system. I hear
rumours that some of the latest distros may be able to do this
semi-automatically. Could someone aware of the state of the art in this give
a summary of the current situation?

I had occasion to use the Knoppix CD that comes with the latest book from
Marcel Gagne, and was much impressed. The operating system recognized the
USB scanner immediately. So obviously things are getting easier than my
first slackware distro which came on 30 floppies.

I wonder if this 'ease of installation' is extending to permanent installs.

Peter

--
Peter D. Hiscocks
Ryerson University,