multimedia linux guru for a day

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Thu Feb 26 21:29:30 UTC 2004

On Thu, Feb 26, 2004 at 12:08:02PM -0500, Chris Aitken wrote:
> I need to hire a multimedia linux guru for a day (or two).  I am
> starting my own business. I want to use non-proprietary software. Every
> turn I take seems to lead me back into the arms of the beast. I started
> with a dual-boot system so I could use W98 to run ProTools ? so I boot
> to W98 when I want to record music, and use linux for everything else.
> Then I got tired of rebooting, so I installed Vmware and a W98 vm. But
> it?s too tempting when I hit a snag (cups printing stops working, I
> don?t have time to get sound working in linux, etc.) to just reboot to
> W98. I love mucking around with linux, but I?m finding I don?t have the
> time to get everything working on the system under linux.
>
> What I?m thinking is to hire a multimedia linux guru for a day to help
> me get sound working in linux (for multitrack recording), get wineX
> installed and working (in case I can?t find a non-proprietary music
> notation application), set up the cd-burner to burn CDs, the scanner
> scanning, and an application from which I could design/print business
> cards and pamphlets, printing (probably cups), and a business suite in
> which I can cut & paste between apps ? like inserting a spreadsheet into
> a document. Obviously I?ll want to see all this working before I let you
> go. And I want to understand how we get there ? not every command
> entered but at least to the level of ?before we can install this app we
> need to run this command to see what libraries we need, download the
> libraries, untar them and install with rpm. ? I don?t want to be
> helpless when I take the system back to Timmins and hit a snag.
>
> My sytem is an Acer desktop w ASUS A7V-E socket A via KT133 m/b, 256 MB
> SDRAM 168pin DIMM memory/133 Major, ATI XPERT98 8MB video AGP, 3D PCI
> sound card 32 bit/4.1, AMD Duron 800 MHz CPU, two 20 GB IDE HDs. It?s in
> a full tower ? lots of free bays in case, for instance, we find that
> there is absolutley no support for my external cd-burner and we have to
> get an internal cd-burner and install it.
>
> All of this we would need to do on one (or two) of the days in March
> Break as that is when I?ll be in Toronto. I would want to pay enough so
> that we both feel a responsibility to get the job done. I?ve had mixed
> results hiring people on this list ? most have worked very hard for very
> little but a couple couldn?t complete the job. I don?t have a secret
> bankroller and my original cashflow forecast had nothing for
> software/hardware so I have to keep this cost down. I would prefer this
> to be done during one or two days, not an hour or two here and there at
> night/weekends. I would love someone like Lennart who?s knowledgable and
> patient. I only mention him as an example ? I wouldn?t presume that I
> could afford him, that he is available or that he would be interested ?
> or that knowledgable as he is that he would be able to do all of this.
>
> Respond privately if you like, but if your initial response is public
> [...]

Well I am currently unemployed after the previous company I was at got
bought, and have been trying to find Linux contracts to work on (they
seem hard to find at the moment).

I guess that means I am available for doing such things.

Hardware looks pretty decent, except for the who knows what sound card.
:)

Lennart Sorensen