multimedia linux guru for a day

Chris Aitken aitken-BwLjziHGQLusTnJN9+BGXg at public.gmane.org
Thu Feb 26 17:08:02 UTC 2004

I need to hire a multimedia linux guru for a day (or two).  I am
starting my own business. I want to use non-proprietary software. Every
turn I take seems to lead me back into the arms of the beast. I started
with a dual-boot system so I could use W98 to run ProTools – so I boot
to W98 when I want to record music, and use linux for everything else.
Then I got tired of rebooting, so I installed Vmware and a W98 vm. But
it’s too tempting when I hit a snag (cups printing stops working, I
don’t have time to get sound working in linux, etc.) to just reboot to
W98. I love mucking around with linux, but I’m finding I don’t have the
time to get everything working on the system under linux.

What I’m thinking is to hire a multimedia linux guru for a day to help
me get sound working in linux (for multitrack recording), get wineX
installed and working (in case I can’t find a non-proprietary music
notation application), set up the cd-burner to burn CDs, the scanner
scanning, and an application from which I could design/print business
cards and pamphlets, printing (probably cups), and a business suite in
which I can cut & paste between apps – like inserting a spreadsheet into
a document. Obviously I’ll want to see all this working before I let you
go. And I want to understand how we get there – not every command
entered but at least to the level of “before we can install this app we
need to run this command to see what libraries we need, download the
libraries, untar them and install with rpm. “ I don’t want to be
helpless when I take the system back to Timmins and hit a snag.

My sytem is an Acer desktop w ASUS A7V-E socket A via KT133 m/b, 256 MB
SDRAM 168pin DIMM memory/133 Major, ATI XPERT98 8MB video AGP, 3D PCI
sound card 32 bit/4.1, AMD Duron 800 MHz CPU, two 20 GB IDE HDs. It’s in
a full tower – lots of free bays in case, for instance, we find that
there is absolutley no support for my external cd-burner and we have to
get an internal cd-burner and install it.

All of this we would need to do on one (or two) of the days in March
Break as that is when I’ll be in Toronto. I would want to pay enough so
that we both feel a responsibility to get the job done. I’ve had mixed
results hiring people on this list – most have worked very hard for very
little but a couple couldn’t complete the job. I don’t have a secret
bankroller and my original cashflow forecast had nothing for
software/hardware so I have to keep this cost down. I would prefer this
to be done during one or two days, not an hour or two here and there at
night/weekends. I would love someone like Lennart who’s knowledgable and
patient. I only mention him as an example – I wouldn’t presume that I
could afford him, that he is available or that he would be interested –
or that knowledgable as he is that he would be able to do all of this.

Respond privately if you like, but if your initial response is public
I’ll feel a little more comfortable.

Sincerely,

Chris Aitken