Interesting warning regarding filesharing

Garth Meisel Garth-xsdjDKdUMl2akBO8gow8eQ at public.gmane.org
Thu Feb 26 02:29:14 UTC 2004

24.72.21.249 or 24.72.21.250

Let the games begin!

IMHO, last time I checked, US cannot do dick with a Canadian in civil court
unless the Canadian is stupid enough to visit the STATE making the claim.
The same goes vice versa.  I'm not a lawyer and most certainly not a lover of
bandwidth pigs or children that don't understand the difference between a B
and a b.  Nevertheless, this is something that the ISP's MUST take care of
with a quota instead of OTHER entities trying to make examples or better put
"Get blood from a stone."
My favorite and by far BEST quality ISP (wireless to boot) was Image Wireless
out of Yorkton SK and they had a 5 Gig quota/month.  My normal usage AFTER
hosting and email services averaged under 50 Megs/month but I obviously DON'T
run Windoze.  Nor do I care about MP3's, videos, nor should I.  It's the
children and or Windoze users by majority without a doubt that are not using
computers and bandwidth properly.  Mostly because they either don't
understand or don't care.  That's what M$ brought upon the web world with
their attempted monopoly of the web and their outragous prices for software
that is not guaranteed in the least and worse yet, charged for when it comes
to fixing what should have worked in the first place.  All reasons which are
unacceptable and can be remedied with either education of the bandwidth
abusers OR monetary payment for their carelessness.
I am fully behind a quota system for home users.  If 5 Gigs/month isn't enough
for even M$ users, then they obviously need to seek a better system.  SOHO
can get by fine with 5 Gigs/month too unless the SOHO is mismanaged and
supports M$ desktops again with irresponsible users.  WE are all paying for
the web.  And I'm surprised that this is the first time THIS topic has come
up.  At least since I've been here.  We have it pretty damn good in CA.  Most
of the states WISH they'd even have a shot at cable modems even if it cost
them $100 USD/month.  Just imagine what happens when the biggest Internet
country in the world begins to hand out STATIC IP's instead of crappy DHCP
assigned IP's and THEY begin to catch up with us ISP wise.  IPV6 is not going
to help us then either now is it.  What can we do to really help?

No troll bait intended!