Interesting warning regarding filesharing

Sidney Shapiro sidney-3Kd7Tu4o6f/sBN0MCq728g at public.gmane.org
Thu Feb 26 01:55:38 UTC 2004

One of my clients in Toronto got the following email today (slightly
edited)

Hello,

*** has received a letter from Columbia Pictures. They have provided us
with a log detailing illegally shared copyrighted material from an ***
customer using IP ***  on February 23.

The complaint points to an IP assigned to your network.

Please be aware that sharing copyrighted material is illegal according
the Digital Millennium Copyright Act. Also, according to *** AUP, it
is not acceptable to use *** for purposes which are illegal. Please
remove or stop sharing this material immediately. Any further complaints
concerning illegal activities that lead back to your IP may result in
termination of your account.

Here is a portion of the complaint forwarded to us by Columbia Pictures,
including the file name and time stamp in GMT.

Title:  50 First Dates
Infringement Source:  BitTorrent
Initial Infringement Timestamp:  23 Feb 2004 22:41:34 GMT
Recent Infringment Timestamp: 23 Feb 2004 22:41:34 GMT
Infringer Username:
Infringing Filename:  New.50.First.Dates.SVCD.TS-TCR.CD2.mpg
Infringing Filesize:  820262772
Infringers IP Address:  ***
Infringers DNS Name: ***
Infringing URL: ***/New.50.First.Dates.SVCD.TS-TCR.CD2.mpg
Notice ID: ***

Thank you

I have been only following this on the periphery, I was told by my
client that this is the first step before they start suing Canadians.
Anyone know if this is scaremongering or are they actually going to
start going after Canadians?

Sid