RH 7.1 atd suddenly fails at startup...what happened?

Russ Heaton rheaton-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org
Wed Feb 25 23:56:09 UTC 2004

Hi.

I checked the logs and nothing seemed out of the ordinary, BUT while I
was digging around for some info, I saw something that makes me pretty
sure my system was compromised. ( see article at
http://cns.utoronto.ca/~scan/expltool.txt )

Just to check i renamed the /dev/dsx and /dev/caca files and
rebooted...now the system hangs after the message

Remounting root filesystem in read-write mode:      [OK]

Perhaps I should open another thread about this problem.

BTW, the network problems turned out to be unrelated to the atd
problem and they're fixed, but as I said the real problem is that I
can't boot anymore.

Thanks,

Russ