RH 7.1 atd suddenly fails at startup...what happened?

Noah John Gellner noah.gellner-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
Tue Feb 24 06:10:41 UTC 2004

atd is the at daemon, a scheduler that allows timed execution of commands. It is not clear to me how this would bork you install.

Perhaps some more information would help. You might look at kernel log files or indeed run dmesg | less to read some of the start up messages.

Does you machine boot now?

An alternate plan is to boot using a cd-based distribution, like Knoppix. You can test your network connectivity, read logs, etc.

On 00:28 Tue 24 Feb     , Russ Heaton wrote:
> Hi.
>
> 	I have a machine running Red Hat 7.1.   The system had been
> running happily for at least a year, and then about 2 or 3 months ago,
> upon reboot, i get a message that atd failed... The upshot seems to be
> that this machine doesn't seem to have any network access any more.
> Any ideas of what happened and how to fix it?
>
> FYI. My level of knowledge is that I'm somewhere between 'newbie' and
> 'familiar' with Linux.
>
> Thanks, Russ

Noah John Gellner
J.D. Candidate (2006)