Sendmail won't send through MUA, help!

linux-5ZoueyuiTZhBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org linux-5ZoueyuiTZhBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Wed Feb 25 22:40:57 UTC 2004

Hi all,

  Sorry for sounding like a desperate n00b but that is what I feel like right now.

  I had to rebuild my server today from RH7.3 to Fedora Core 1. I have spend the rest of the day since then trying to get SMTP to accept connections from user agents like Mozilla Mail. Well, actually I did have other problems but this is the one stumping me right now.

  Oh but wait, but she is sending us mail just now, isn't she?

  Well yes, I am able to send mail through the mail server... So long as I telnet into port 25 and DO IT MANUALLY!! <grrr> :)

  Whenever the MUA tries to send mail it prompts me for a password which, though I know it is right, fails. Syslog records in '/var/log/maillog' this error:

 <Shoot, that's '/var/log/messages', I can't backup to fix it...>
<blah>: unable to open Berkeley db /etc/sasldb2: No such file or directory
<blah>: unable to open Berkeley db /etc/sasldb2: No such file or directory
<blah>: no secret in database

  Now, I never had to worry about this before and given that I would like my users to NOT have to change their e-mail programs I would prefer to figure out a way to put things back as they were. Can anyone give me a hand here?

  By the way, I can -get- messages off of the server just fine. The problem is only in sending.

  Thanks!!

Madison (ending her damn telnet session!)