NewTLUG - futher topic details for Tuesday's meeting

Henry Spencer henry-lqW1N6Cllo0sV2N9l4h3zg at public.gmane.org
Tue Feb 24 05:02:40 UTC 2004

On Mon, 23 Feb 2004, Anthony de Boer wrote:
> > Surviving system upgrades, and even downgrades
> > Henry Spencer <henry-lqW1N6Cllo0sV2N9l4h3zg at public.gmane.org>
>
> Is the paper available online anywhere?  I'm not able to make tomorrow's
> meeting, and would still like to learn from Henry's experience.

First I would have to *write* a paper... :-)

I might actually do that for the LISA conference.  But not right away.

> > His system was the first Usenet site in Canada (and the first outside the
> > US), ...
>
> I believe there was actually a site at BNR (Ottawa) on Usenet briefly
> before utzoo came online...

Yes and no and kind of.  I oversimplified.  Yes, Ron Gomes's system at
BNR Ottawa was getting Usenet traffic for a little while, before utzoo.
However, as far as I know, nothing was ever posted from there... and at
the time, the formal criterion for Usenet membership was posting a site
announcement to NET.news.newsite (I think it was), so one can argue about
whether that site really qualified.

                                                          Henry Spencer
                                                       henry-lqW1N6Cllo0sV2N9l4h3zg at public.gmane.org