Got my feet wet - now getting cold feet.

CLIFFORD ILKAY clifford_ilkay-biY6FKoJMRdBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Sun Feb 22 21:24:42 UTC 2004

At 21:48 20/02/2004 -0500, James Carruthers wrote:
>Thank you to everyone who offered me advice on putting Linux on my
>inspiron 1100. Your responses were very informative and helpful. I've
>filed your advice for future reference, when I'm in a better position to
>implement it and delve deeper into the Linux OS for my personal use.
>Thanks again,
>James

Hi James,

There are relatively low risk ways of using Linux on your laptop without
having to make any changes to your current Windows installation. If you use
virtual machine technology, you will be able to run Windows and Linux, or
other x86 operating systems simultaneously. The machine that I am typing
this on is running Windows 2000 Pro on a virtual machine created under
VMware <http://www.vmware.com> with Mandrake 9.1 as the host OS. I could
have done it the other way around, i.e. Windows 2000 as the host with Linux
being the guest OS but I wanted the more stable of the two operating
systems to be the host. VMware is not the only option. I suppose one
advantage of running Linux within a virtual machine is that you can be
reasonably certain there will not be problems with hardware compatibility
since the virtual machines tend to be "vanilla" configurations. Below are a
few other options. N.B. I only have personal experience with VMware and
Win4Lin.

<http://www.colinux.org/> Open Source - Windows must be host

<http://www.twoostwo.org/> Either Windows or Linux host - seems like a
commercial product though I could not find out how much it is beyond the
three month trial period.

<http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/virtualpc/default.asp> Microsoft bought
Connectix last year. Unsurprisingly, it only runs on Windows or OS X.

<http://www.flashvos.com/frame_index.html> Does not require a host OS.
Allows one to run multiple x86 operating systems simultaneously. Looks very
interesting and is quite inexpensive.

<http://www.hyperos2002.com/> Commercial product.

<http://bochs.sourceforge.net/> Open Source IA32 emulator that allows one
to create virtual machines - similar in concept to VMware.

Before embarking on this adventure, I would recommend making a disk image
of your Windows installation so that you can recover quickly in the event
of a problem. Actually, that is a good practice regardless because of the
propensity of Windows to grow barnacles and have to be taken to dry dock
periodically.

Regards,

Clifford Ilkay
Dinamis Corporation