Got my feet wet - now getting cold feet.

Taavi Burns taavi-LbuTpDkqzNzXI80/IeQp7B2eb7JE58TQ at public.gmane.org
Mon Feb 23 00:09:45 UTC 2004

On Sun, Feb 22, 2004 at 04:24:42PM -0500, CLIFFORD ILKAY wrote:
> <http://bochs.sourceforge.net/> Open Source IA32 emulator that allows one
> to create virtual machines - similar in concept to VMware.

It's actually much closer to VirtualPC running on Mac.  VMware is known as
"virtualisation" software.  The OS and programs run natively on the x86
CPU, and all access to hardware is intercepted and emulated.  VMware is
more like WINE than bochs in that respect.

Bochs is a full CPU emulator, with all instructions emulated in software.
It is therefore very slow compared to VMware, but unlike VMware it runs
on anything; x86, PPC, sparc, etc.

--
taa

   As an adolescent I aspired to lasting fame, I craved factual
   certainty, and I thirsted for a meaningful vision of human life
   - so I became a scientist.  This is like becoming an archbishop
   so you can meet girls.
      -Matt Cartmill, anthropology professor and author (1943- )
/*eof*/