[OT-diagnosis-help]

Gregory D Hough mr6re9-mI4xJ4qlgtBiLUuM0BA3LQ at public.gmane.org
Thu Feb 19 14:13:06 UTC 2004

Greetings tlug,

This darn linksys (BEFSX41-CA) is becoming more troublesome by the
minute. The linksysmon utility (thanks again Lada) occasionally shows a
slurry of activity to port 69 (multiple src's) which incidently is
where the hardware listens for a firmware upgrade, supposedly only on
the LAN side. Not only that, but the hardware is having a propensity to
live a month into the future, insisting that it should be March 14th.
Within minutes of an NTP server reset (which I have no control over),
it jumps into a time machine and heads for March again. tcpdump also
shows unclean ICMP's LANside (invalid checksums). Oh, and it will not
accept my dhclient send hostname either.

Support suggests I attempt the firmware upgrade before returning it for
a full refund. I will try it tonight. Whether I'm successful or not, I
won't be able to return it until Saturday.

I wish for a tlugger or two to nmap this thing for me. I'm curious to
know what's going on and how it appears from the external side. It's
primative reporting gives me very little info.

Friday night would be great if anyone's interested.

Thanks,
farmer6re9