SSH session + Japanese mail in mutt

Jing Su jingsu-26n5VD7DAF2Tm46uYYfjYg at public.gmane.org
Thu Feb 19 06:06:00 UTC 2004

First question, do you know if putty is indeed able to show multi-byte
characters?  It would be pointless to try and wrangle multi-byte
characters out of the linux box if putty can't show them.

Second question, when you log into your linux machine, type in:
echo $LANG
echo $LC_CTYPE

what does it say?
When I want to do Chinese on my computer, I first set the locale to
zh_TW.big5.  I'm not sure what the locale identifier for Japanese is...
anyone else know?  I think the Japanese ones start with 'ja'.  Though I'm
not sure how many different enconding types there are.

Try:
cat /etc/sysconfig/i18n

what does it say?

If you don't want to permanently change your locale, you can set it in the
console you're working out of before running the programs you want to run.
for example:
export LANG="ja"

and then running 'mutt'.  Assuming mutt knows how to read the locale
identifier and show the right fonts and encodings.

Hope this helps a bit....
-Jing