To be more clear ----compaq deskpro for linux - HD problem

James shijialee-/E1597aS9LQAvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Sat Feb 14 05:46:36 UTC 2004

thanks for everyone's input.

If you have read my original email, this is a new HD with 8.4G capacity. so the hidden partition
is no way there.

as someone pointed out, it's optional to have a hidden partition. i am wondering how do you do
without it?

I tried couple of combinations of using setup diskettes or/and diagnostics diskette. although the
Hardware inspection come with compaq diagnostics diskette shows the HD correctly (maxtor 8.6 and
the correct model number), but i don't think the system remembers it. maybe that's why a hidden
partition is required to save these kinda information?

but the operation of create diagnosticis partition failed.

I also boot the computer right from setup diskettes and the HD is not recognized.

the dead HD was installed linux and the boot wrote on MBR, but the computer still boots without
the diagnostics partition. do i or do i not need the diagnostics partition?

many thanks!

Qiang