compaq deskpro for linux - HD problem

SRB srb-s8PdfxpoPdHk1uMJSBkQmQ at public.gmane.org
Fri Feb 13 16:23:04 UTC 2004

> I am hitting a dead end on this problem. The HD in my deskpro 4000
(Pentium 200) died couple days
> ago. I am trying to replace it with a 8.4G HD. however, this machine seems
to use some hidden
> partition to store BIOS information and the new HD won't get recognized.
>
> so i download the setup/diagnostics utility from compaq site.
>
> following is what i did.
>
> I fdisk the new HD so there is no partition at all. then i load the
diagnostics disk and choose to
> create diagnostics partition. This process seems run fine( however i
choose to 'delete diagnostics
> partition' after the create operation and got error saying 'operation
failed on diagnostics
> partition'. then i starts the computer with setup disk to 'install
computer setup', and i got 'A
> diagnostic partition does not exist. use the pc diagnostics diskette to
create a partition'.

> seems the diagnostics partition never created. what is going on ?
>
> I am using the sp4129.exe to generate the setup and diagnostics diskettes.
found it here
> http://h18000.www1.hp.com/support/files/diags.html
>

> thanks,
>
> Qiang

I used to have a Compaq Deskpro 2000 with a Pentium Pro CPU, so I know what
you are talking about. First of all, make sure that you do indeed have the
"setup" boot floppy available (can download from Compaq once you find it on
theri site). You will need this if you ever need to enter the board's BIOS.

Other than that, you do not really need the "diagnostics" partition. I just
formatted the new hard drive as normal and never missed the compaq
diagnostics.

HTH.

-Steve.