DNS question

Anthony de Boer adb-tlug-AbAJl/g/NLXk1uMJSBkQmQ at public.gmane.org
Fri Feb 13 22:36:03 UTC 2004

Ilya Palagin wrote:
> What happens when you disable the firewall?

He gets r00ted.

Disabling a firewall to solve a problem you don't understand is the last
resort of the incompetent.  Actually understanding the protocols you're
trying to forward is step one, step two is to make sure the firewall logs
every packet it drops or rejects and every connection it refuses so that
you can see what's not going through, and step three can be running
tcpdump or a similar tool to look at the traffic.

Or maybe it's just that I've been firewalling for so long that it just
looks easy.  But the Internet has become a sufficiently hostile place
that I wouldn't even dream of connecting anything that wasn't firmly
secured first.

--
Anthony de Boer