DNS question

Ilya Palagin IlyaPalagin-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Fri Feb 13 18:59:04 UTC 2004

Anthony de Boer wrote:
> Ilya Palagin wrote:
>
>>What happens when you disable the firewall?
>

> He gets r00ted.
It depends on what else is running on the server, what kind of network
is behing the firewall and how long the firewall will be off :-)
5 seconds is enough to see if firewall drops wrong packets, and it's
probably insufficient for cracking RH9 server with installed updates (if
it isn't under permanent attack and if there is just bind running :-)

> Disabling a firewall to solve a problem you don't understand is the last
> resort of the incompetent.  Actually understanding the protocols you're
> trying to forward is step one, step two is to make sure the firewall logs
> every packet it drops or rejects and every connection it refuses so that
> you can see what's not going through, and step three can be running
> tcpdump or a similar tool to look at the traffic.
>
> Or maybe it's just that I've been firewalling for so long that it just
> looks easy.  But the Internet has become a sufficiently hostile place
> that I wouldn't even dream of connecting anything that wasn't firmly
> secured first.

You're offering an excellent professional way for solving this problem,
but for the current context (freshly installed server not in the
production environment yet, being configured  from GUI) this task can be
a little bit more simple :-)