New user and questions

SRB srb-s8PdfxpoPdHk1uMJSBkQmQ at public.gmane.org
Tue Feb 10 00:08:22 UTC 2004

D. Hugh Redelmeier wrote:

>| I'm new to this group (and Linux). I'd like to know if there's anywhere
>| to get training on Linux around T.O. Not exactly beginner stuff, but
>| intermediate knowledge.
>
>Why do you want to learn about LINUX?  What are your goals?  Without
>knowing that, it is hard to give an appropriate answer.

I've had that question before. :-) My immediate goals are to achieve a
comfort level in Linux that I currently have in windows. The knowledge
to do just about anything I fancy at the moment. To not have a mental
roadblock of "how do I do this?" or "is this possible?". I understand it
is always an ongoing process and that is what I enjoy as well; knowing
that no matter how much I know, there is always more to learn. This is
what has drawn me to Linux. I've grown bored of windows "one-flavour is
supposed to suit all". I love how customizable Linux is. As well as the
philosophy of open-source which enables people from around the globe to
contribute as opposed to a handful of people in office buildings. :-)

I have no doubt now that I am on the right track and this group is
exactly the kind of support I need! I've also been on a few Yahoo Linux
groups for a while and even when things are over my head, I still file
them away mentally for future reference.

Thanks to everyone who offers advice and support for newbies like me.
Hopefully I'll be able to do that soon for others as well.

-Steve.