New user and questions

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh-pmF8o41NoarQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Mon Feb 9 18:59:40 UTC 2004

| From: SRB <srb-s8PdfxpoPdHk1uMJSBkQmQ at public.gmane.org>

| I'm new to this group (and Linux). I'd like to know if there's anywhere
| to get training on Linux around T.O. Not exactly beginner stuff, but
| intermediate knowledge.

Why do you want to learn about LINUX?  What are your goals?  Without
knowing that, it is hard to give an appropriate answer.

LINUX is much to big to learn in its entirety.  So you have to be
selective.

Example: playing around with a bunch of distros is probably not the
first thing to do.  Pick a reasonable one and dive in.  I'd suggest
going with Red Hat 9 that you already have (and have a paper manual
for).

| Would a person in my position find it useful to attend any TLUG
| meetings? Or is it advisable to educate myself a bit more first?

Meetings are probably worthwhile, even if you don't understand
everything.

The next meeting ought to be tomorrow, but the details have not been
announced.  Pick folks' brains in the bar after the meeting.

Hugh Redelmeier
hugh-pmF8o41NoarQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org  voice: +1 416 482-8253