need help installing Fedora using partition magic

David J Patrick davidjpatrick-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org
Fri Dec 31 02:40:08 UTC 2004

Simon Tonekham wrote:

> How am I suppose to boot two drives during startup?

Modern operating systems can handle multiple drives.
The bootloader (grub, lilo, etc) is a tiny program that keeps the
configurations straight and gives you a menu at boot-time that lets you
choose which operating system to start up. Select your fave OS (linux ;)
and the boot continues from the correct drive.
Sound complicated ? yup ! but 99% of the time you never have to think
about it. ... for that 1% come back to the list ! :)

> And If i'm not comfortable of having two operating systems on two
> seperate drives, how do I remove Linux on my Maxtor?

If you have set it up with just linux on the 30 gig, basically just
scrub the drive.
That's perhaps an over-simplification, you might just be formatting ONE
partition and leaving the /home partition, depends how you want to set
it up !
Just in case, it's a good policy to keep rescue boot disks nearby, so
that in the unlikely events that the bootloader get's bent, you can
still start you system. This is as true for 100% Windoze boxes as it is
for linux or dual boot systems. Don't let this scare ya, but your your
XP setup is more like to explode all over the runway, than Red Hat.
Which brings me to;

knoppix

(one of the) incredible bootable linux distributions.
with a knoppix disk you need never again fear total lockout as a result
of a mangled setup. It can be used to rescue systems (Win, linux) and
even allow you to enjoy a full working linux system without installing
anything !

www.knoppix.net

One last thing; for a branny new linux user, such as yourself, be aware
that you have many choices beyond Red Hat.
Why not RH ? Well, the .rpm package management system (for installing
new software) can be a bit sticky, and the out-of-the-box multimedia
configuration is sparse.
Xandros, while not free, is polished and has velvety smooth install and
integration, for former Windoze prisoners.
ubuntu is fine, free, and way friendly.
see distrowatch for the dizzying array of available linux distributions.

www.distrowatch.com

good luck,
djp