need help installing Fedora using partition magic

Anton Markov anton-F0u+EriZ6ihBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Fri Dec 31 01:52:45 UTC 2004

Simon Tonekham wrote:
> I recently upgraded my hard drive to an 120GB Western Digital Hard Drive
> and currently I have Windows XP Professional with SP2 Installed on my
> computer system. I've installed PartitionMagic version 8.05 on my
> computer today and I wanted to know how I can safely install Fedora on
> my computer. The reason that I'm asking is that I'm planning to install
> Fedora Linux on my computer.The specifications goes as follows:

*A warning about Partition Magic:*

Partition Magic has destroyed some of the data on NTFS partitions *two
out of the three times* I tried to use it to shrink an NTFS partition.
This was on different systems/hardware too, so it's not a localized bug.
I don't think there is any tool that will safely shrink/move an NTFS
partition.

That being said, if your Windows XP is installed on an NTFS partition, I
would avoid resizing it at all costs. If you do want to resize/move it,
I suggest a _complete and tested_ backup.

I would recommend doing what others have recommended: installing Linux
on the other HD or in an unpartitioned (free) area of the drive. Then
you can create a FAT32 partition to share your data between Linux and
Windows.

By the way, if you will not be using _both_ hard drives simultaneously
most of the time (by having WinXP on one and Linux on the other), you
should put the hard drives on one IDE cable, and the DVD-writer on the
other for performance reasons.

My $0.02

--
Anton Markov <("anton" + "@" + "truxtar" + "." + "com")>

GnuPG Key fingerprint =
5546 A6E2 1FFB 9BB8 15C3  CE34 46B7 8D93 3AD1 44B4

*** LINUX - MAY THE SOURCE BE WITH YOU! ***