question regarding CLI Tab-search

Robert Brockway rbrockway-wgAaPJgzrDxH4x6Dk/4f9A at public.gmane.org
Wed Dec 29 19:07:23 UTC 2004

On Wed, 29 Dec 2004, Matt Cahill wrote:

> Hello,
>
>  So, to my amazement, somebody finally revealed to me that I can find the
> names of files on my system by entering the first digits and then hitting Tab
> twice (using an xconsole at least).  What is the name of this feature?  I'd

It's usually called tab completion in conversation and is shell dependent
(early shells did not have it).  The man page for your shell will have
copious detail on the topic.  If you are using bash you will find all
sorts of sub options available (to effect how tab completion works).  In
the bash man page search for "completion".

Set your favourite options in ~/.bashrc of course.  I also recommend
making sure ~/.bash_profile reads ~/.bashrc as well.

I have this set in ~/.bashrc as I find it very convenient:

bind 'set show-all-if-ambiguous on'

Rob

--
Robert Brockway B.Sc.
Senior Technical Consultant, OpenTrend Solutions Ltd.