question regarding CLI Tab-search

Madison Kelly linux-5ZoueyuiTZhBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Wed Dec 29 18:58:41 UTC 2004

Matt Cahill wrote:
> Hello,
>
>   So, to my amazement, somebody finally revealed to me that I can find the
> names of files on my system by entering the first digits and then hitting Tab
> twice (using an xconsole at least).  What is the name of this feature?  I'd
> love to read up more about it (for example, why I can find apps as root but
> not as user and how I would change such settings) before I post questions
> here.  I'm a little surprised that I wasn't aware of it before now...
>
>   Many thanks,
>
>   Matt

As a regular user your $PATH environment does not include '/sbin' and
'/usr/sbin' where many system apps reside. You can add this by editing
'~/.bash_profile' to read: 'PATH=$PATH:$HOME/bin:/sbin:/usr/sbin'.

The next time you log in, those directories will be searched.
Alternatively you can type from the shell:

PATH=$PATH:$HOME/bin:/sbin:/usr/sbin
export PATH

To get immediate searching of those directories.

hth

Madison