[OT] Re:eMachines M6809 Linux Compatibility

Robert Brockway rbrockway-wgAaPJgzrDxH4x6Dk/4f9A at public.gmane.org
Wed Dec 29 04:21:56 UTC 2004

On Tue, 28 Dec 2004, Paul DiRezze wrote:

> I'm thinking of buying this 64-bit notebook, but only if I can get Gentoo
> Linux on it.  However, I'm unable to find out technical specs on the
> eMachines web site.
>
> Here's the vendor's page:
> http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1034849&Sku=E400-M6809&CMP=EMC-TIGEREMAIL&SRCCODE=CANEM275
>
> Here's the support page at eMachines
> http://www.emachines.com/support/support_info.html?prodName=M6809

They reallly called it the M6809?!  That's priceless :)  "Yes, this laptop
is powered by a Motorola 6809?".  The raw power - I can't believe the
speed.

Don't get me wrong I loved the 6809, it was a great cpu - 20 years ago[1]
;)

That's almost as bad as Mac OS9 having a name so similar to Microware OS-9
(which is named after the 6809 as it happens).

[1] Ok, I think it is actually still in production for imbedded apps.  I
read recently the 0.894MHz 6809 was faster than an 8088 running at
4.77MHz.

Rob

--
Robert Brockway B.Sc.
Senior Technical Consultant, OpenTrend Solutions Ltd.