Getting TV onto a Linux box

Tim Writer tim-s/rLXaiAEBtBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Tue Dec 28 17:34:31 UTC 2004

Sidney Shapiro <sidney-3Kd7Tu4o6f/sBN0MCq728g at public.gmane.org> writes:

> >Hmm, I must have misunderstood something in the past.  You are right.
> >
> >Hmm, so taht would make it great as additional recording tuners for a
> >PVR box, with a 350 doing the playback (and recording too of course).
> >
> >Lennart Sorensen
> >-
> >

> How would I go about setting up a PVR using mythtv which can both record and
> play back on the TV? I have a server I can use, but I do not have a video
> card which I can use for video in/out.

There are many options but the easiest is to get yourself an
Haupauge WinTV PVR 350 since it has TV in and out with MPEG2 hardware
encode/decode.  See the documentation at http://www.mythtv.org/ for a more or
less complete recipe.

> Do I need to have MPG encoding for
> both in and out?

No, but you will have much better performance and more flexibility in your
choice of the other hardware components.  Again, consult the MythTV
documentation for hardware recommendations.

--
tim writer <tim-s/rLXaiAEBtBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org>                                  starnix inc.
647.722.5301                                      toronto, ontario, canada