Internet Connections and Telephones

Howard Gibson hgibson-MwcKTmeKVNQ at public.gmane.org
Thu Dec 23 19:43:56 UTC 2004

   I connect to the internet through my telephone and through Echo Online.  Recently, their login has required PAP authentication.  This was a bit of a pain, since I was using XISP to login.

   I really like Xisp, since it stores all my internet connection data in a file local to my directory, and it encrypts my internet password.  I set my pppd to SetUID so that I did not need to log in as root to run it.

   I can continue to log into the internet using kppp, and I have set up command line script that works too.  Both of these require a root password.  Also, both of these use a secrets file that shows my internet password in plain text.  The file is readable by root only, unless the unauthorized person has a screw driver and access to the computer.

   Is there a tool out there that does ppp/PAP/CHAP logins and uses local, encrypted files to store information?

--
Howard Gibson
hgibson-MwcKTmeKVNQ at public.gmane.org
howardg-PadmjKOQAFn3fQ9qLvQP4Q at public.gmane.org