Using/installing 2.6.x kernel with Dynamic Drive Overlay

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Thu Dec 16 19:33:23 UTC 2004

On Thu, Dec 16, 2004 at 01:56:48PM -0500, Jamon Camisso wrote:
> Has anyone managed to get a 2.6.x kernel working with OnTrack's DDO?
> I've got a 40gb seagate disc that I'd like to use with some *nix system.
> I've checked around and discovered that hdx=remap63 is no longer
> supported in 2.6 kernels. What about hdx=stroke? Moreover, should I used
> fdisk to change my drive geometry from 4865/255/63 to 4864/254/63?
>
> Thanks in advance for any suggestions/help.

Well assuming a bios upgrade isn't an option, and adding a pci ide card
with a better bios isn't an option, then a few decent options are:

Make a /boot partition at the start of the disk, of say 128M or so.
Install the bootloader to there so that the boot process has no problems
accessing the disk.  Then let the kernel use the rest of the HD
normally, since linux should be able to detect the whole disk size.

If you used a software clip function (hd utility) to limit the drive to
32G, linux 2.6 and most later 2.4 kernels auto detect this and undo it.
If you clip it with a jumper, I don't think it can.A  Again just make
sure that the /boot is in the part of the disk that the bios sees (32G
in most cases).

What size/brand/model is the HD, and what limits does the BIOS have on
HD sizes?

Lennart Sorensen