OT: Source for firewire enclosures w/HD

Robert Brockway rbrockway-wgAaPJgzrDxH4x6Dk/4f9A at public.gmane.org
Tue Dec 14 06:51:38 UTC 2004

On Mon, 13 Dec 2004, Alex Beamish wrote:

> My chorus is going into the recording studio next week (Metalworks in
> Mississauga) and we've decided we're really interested in getting an
> external HD with firewire connection -- that will save us $$$ from
> having the studio burn our session onto CDs. I've checked my favourite
> place Sonnam (sonnam.com) and they have an 80G and a 160G unit listed,
> but both are out of stock. Future Shop has a Maxtor 250G for $400 that
> looks like it would do. I've also seen a Data Silo product from
> storcase.com, the DS231, but no price on that, and our date is next
> Tuesday, so I have to act fast.
>
> Anyone else bought one of these units recently? I'd love to get some

The enclosures are common in cut price computer shops.  I normally buy the
enclosure and put in my drive of choice.

> guidance on good/bad units, things to watch out for, places (within
> the GTA if possible) that you'd recommend. Thanks!

I've bought a couple - they are "no name" but just keep on running.  One
is several years old and made regular trips in my back pack on a bicycle
for a few months.  I've never had any issues.

Rob

--
Robert Brockway B.Sc.
Senior Technical Consultant, OpenTrend Solutions Ltd.